I have found a new love for baking – cupcakes particularly … making them look aesthetic is my favourite thing!
Here is a little recipe as to how you can achieve these pretty lemon flavoured cupcakes with a buttercream icing:
This recipe makes around 12 cupcakes – depending on how much you put in the cases…in my case its quite a lot!
INGREDIENTS FOR CUPCAKES:
- 125g of softened butter
- 125g of caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 100g of self raising flour
- 2 tbsp of milk
- 1/4 tsp of lemon flavouring
- Heat oven to 180’C.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (electric whisks work wonders here if your arms, like mine, can’t deal with it).
- Add the eggs, flour (sifted), milk and the lemon flavouring.
- Mix everything until the mixture is smooth (again, the electric whisk is a life saver).
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcakes cases – making them as big or small as you desire (word of warning, they do rise to be roughly double what you put in the case).
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden – a good tip is to stick a knife or cake tester into the centre of the cake – if mixture comes out on the knife / cake tester then they aren’t finished baking yet!
While you are waiting for the cupcakes to bake you can tidy up (boring, I know) and then the icing can be made.
INGREDIENTS FOR ICING:
- 175g of softened butter
- 350g of icing sugar
- Whisk the butter (as always, electric whisks were made for a reason).
- Add the icing sugar – mix with a spoon first and then go in with an electric whisk to avoid a snowstorm of icing sugar…
- Depending on how ‘lemony’ you want the cupcakes to be, lemon flavouring or grated lemon can be put into the icing – this of course is completely down to personal preference.
Make sure the cupcakes are cooled before the buttercream icing is put on top as it is likely to run if they are still warm!
- Place the icing mixture in a piping bag and get decorating!
I used the lemon and orange jellies from the Morrisons home baking range to decorate – 91p for a tub!
P.S – Morrisons cake decorations are amazing and you definitely need to check them out!
And here you go, aesthetic lemon cupcakes!
If you do make these cupcakes please do tweet me your pictures over at https://twitter.com/georgia_headdon so I can have a nosey at your cupcake skills!
And yes, decorating cupcakes is the best part for me and I do take a lot longer than necessary to do this!
You can also head over to my Instagram where cupcake pictures frequently appear – not all of which will feature as a blog post!
Thank you for reading!
Best wishes, Gee x